Monday, January 28, 2013

14-day Waiting Period

It would be our luck to provide a home to yet another animal that isn't "healthy".

Years ago, we adopted two cats and within the first week, one of them presented health issues. These issue stuck with her/us for the duration of her life in our home.

We have had Rocco for 10 days and yes, he is sick.

We aren't really sure what's wrong with him other than GI issues. Kind of ironic, since Travis was born with so many GI issues. Our cat, Lily had GI issues. Joey has had GI issues in the past.

What is it with us and GI issues?

I am not one who is normally very spiritual, in the sense of God. But I do believe in something. What that something is, not sure, but something.

Something, or someone is testing us. We wouldn't be given these challenges if we weren't thought to be able to handle them. Right?

Nothing is easy, I get that. But, come on, really? We adopt the most loving, mellow, passionate little pup and he too has GI issues?

Of course, when we brought him in to our home, we "applied" for pet insurance. We have paid a lot of money in tests and medical bills in the past for our cat and didn't want to take that chance with our new dog.

Of course, there is a fourteen day waiting period for coverage. So, what are you supposed to do in those first two weeks of ownership if the pup gets sick? Yes, you have to pay. And yes you still have to pay for coverage of insurance. I'm not really understanding the whole logistics of it, but it is what it is. I'm sure once his policy goes in to affect on February 7, he will be the healthiest dog for the next 365 days. At least we know if he isn't, we will have help...

I just want my pup to be ok. He's miserable and lethargic and there isn't anything I can do to make him feel better. It's almost the same as when Travis is sick and I can't explain to him why he feels this way. I'm sure he's confused and scared and other than love him, I don't really know what I can do for him.

We wait.

And see how he does over the next couple of days.

During our 14 day waiting period.

No comments: