Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Protein & Oats Pancakes

I have a sweet tooth, I admit.

Especially when it comes to breakfast. French toast, pancakes, waffles, crepes... if it's sweet? I love it.

Over the last year as I've slowly been making changes to my diet, breakfast has been one of the harder ones. On a regular basis, I make plain old fashioned rolled oats with either blueberries, flax and honey or whatever other berry I have in my fridge. When I get tired of oats, I make eggs. When I get tired of eggs, I ask my children, "Hey!? Do you boys want pancakes??" And of course their answer is... "yes".

I've been seeing friends post photos of their "Protein Pancakes" and just haven't been brave enough to try them. It's hard enough for me to choke down my protein shake sometimes, let alone think of making a pancake out of it.

So, today, I finally did... grabbed some eggs, old fashioned rolled oats, protein powder and almond milk. I adapted this recipe from a friends recipe that used 4 eggs and oats, changing the measurements slightly.


(I didn't realize I'd need the almond milk until I had blended the first three ingredients together)

I thought about mixing in a bowl, but I didn't really want "chunky" pancakes, so I threw all of the ingredients in my Ninja single serve blender cup.


I blended everything and then added almond milk since the consistency was a little thick and poured on to my pan. 


I was very impressed with how similar this recipe was to actual pancakes! It bubbled just the same and was easily flipped to cook both sides. 


And just like that, I had pancakes! They were a little dense, so maybe next time I will add a little more almond milk? I was still able to eat them both and satisfy my sweet tooth. I topped them with Earth Balance Coconut Spread and All Natural Maple Syrup. 

Delicious!!


Protein & Oats Pancakes

1 Egg
2 Egg Whites
1/4 C Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
1/4 C Almond Milk
1 Scoop of Life's Basics Plant Protein Powder, Vanilla 
Cinnamon (lightly sprinkled on top while cooking) 

Blend all ingredients, pour onto pan and cook until lightly brown. 


No comments: