Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Field Trip

Yesterday I had the enjoyment of going on a field trip with Joe's 5th grade class. It was pretty exciting to me as I hardly ever get to go on field trips. I was always working before we moved here and never able to go. It's such a blessing to be a part of Joe's class and have the children recognize me as his mom. I love hanging out with the kids and observing them. Watching their conversations and trying to figure out the differences in personalities. I am really enjoying this age and am starting to think it's becoming my favorite.

We went to the Halle Heart Children's Museum in Tempe. It is funded by the American Heart Association and yes, you guessed it, all about the heart.  I'm not sure if it's open to the public or not, but it was definitely geared towards school age children and organized for a field trip. At every 15 minute interval we would go to a new station and do a new hands on activity or learn a different aspect about eating healthy.

I thought it was great, especially because I have made these lifestyle changes in our home and I am always telling Joe why we exercise and eat healthy. This only helped my case. Now he doesn't think I'm just his "crazy mom". He understands more of why I am always making him eat spinach and strawberries and don't let him drink soda or eat a lot of junk food.

When we got back to the school we walked to the park near by to have lunch. I've definitely realized now that my son has officially grown out of the wanting mom around phase. We sat on the lawn with his friends and when they wanted to get up and go eat on the playground, he went right with him and left me there. Sitting alone!! It was great when I overheard his friend saying "Dude! Joe, your mom is here to have lunch with you and you totally just left her there!". I sat and enjoyed my lunch, listening to the conversations of a group of girls sitting to my left and watching some other kids play tag to my right. It was peaceful, reassuring and  one of the best lunches I've had this year.

I am feeling great. I really do feel that my job as a mom is the best, most rewarding job there could be. I am really enjoying it and taking advantage of every day spent being a stay at home mom, because I really don't know how much longer I'll have. I have also just started week 9 of my new eating habits and exercise regimen. I have lost a total of 10.5 lbs and am down at least 1 size in my clothes. I haven't tried on my wedding dress yet, but I'm almost certain it might fit by week 12. I wish that I could share my inspiration and energy with so many who just can't get there. If only they knew how wonderful I feel....

No comments: