Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Not your average muffin

Breakfast is one of my favorite meals and I grew up on Lucky Charms and French Toast so it's no wonder that I have a sweet tooth. Ignoring that sweet tooth has gotten easier and easier and I don't even eat cereal anymore. I can't even remember the last time I had cereal.

My oldest still eats cereal, but I buy him organic, non sugary types (that I force him to eat). He doesn't "like" them but he eats them. 

My little guy is happy with a waffle. Every. Single. Day. Or donuts if we take the car to get it washed. Yes, I am that mom who splurges and buys donuts once in a while. 

My husband is the hardest one to get eating breakfast. He wakes early, showers, and leaves for work with no time to eat a breakfast. Now that he is working out quite frequently I am trying to incorporate more of a healthy breakfast alternative for him. Oatmeal gets kind of old after a few days... (even for me, especially since I eat it plain).

Then introduces these "muffins". 


A trainer at my gym that I was talking to said he makes a batch of these and takes a couple a day for his mid-morning snack/breakfast. He rambled off how he made them and I don't remember all of it, but I remembered the basics and came up with these. 


First I browned the extra lean ground turkey I had, such a great source of lean protein and it's low in fat. 


Dumped the cooked turkey, a whole carton of All Whites Liquid Egg Whites and 3 heaping handfuls of spinach into my Ninja blender. At this point, you could probably add whatever other veggies you want; red peppers, zucchini, kale, etc... I stuck to the three basic ingredients this time around because I wasn't sure how they'd turn out. 


Lined my cupcake pan with liners and poured in the goop. I'm not sure how well these worked this time, might try to do them without the liners next time and use a non-stick cooking spray. Once they were cooked, the papers stuck to the finished product quite a bit. 


I liked them so much when I took them out of the oven, I ate three. The first two I ate plain and the last one I tried with some hot sauce on it. PERFECTION. So tasty! 

My husband had some this morning (after they'd been in the refrigerator all night) and said they were good. Edible and tasted better than plain ol egg whites! Next time he wants to put hot sauce on them too.. They would even be good with salsa! 

If you try them out, please leave a comment or email me and let me know what variations you used!! 


Of course, my little helper wanted his photo taken as well while I was snapping shots of the food. 

Happy Wednesday! 


Ingredients:
1 32oz Carton All Whites Liquid Egg Whites
1 lb Extra Lean Ground Turkey
Spinach, how ever much you want! 
Salt (to taste on the ground turkey while browning)

Mix all ingredients in blender or food processor, pour in to muffin tins and back at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes. 

**I wasn't sure how long to bake them, set the timer for 15 minutes and then watched them until they looked "done" 

ENJOY! 



No comments: