Tuesday, February 23, 2010

tattoos, teachers & a Guinness

Let me just start by saying it's a good thing I didn't write yesterday, or the day before, or even the day before that. Would have had major word vomit and probably regretted writing everything I did. The days that went by and the things that happened were all too familiar yet at the same time very confusing.

While Joey was with his dad, Paul and I decided to try out a different place each night while he was gone so that when do actually get a "date night" we would know where we wanted to go. I don't think we were disappointed at all in any of our choices and liked one of them so much we went back for a second dose. That second dose proved to be a very fun night.

Teachers have lives too. I have friends that are teachers, but, they are not my son's teacher. It's a job, their job and that is what they went to school and chose to be. All of these thoughts are going through my head as I am trying to figure out if there is some unspoken rule about fraternizing with your child's teacher.

I've always like Joey's teacher, ever since we first went to met her last July. She's young, strict, great with the kids and she has one of my favorite reptiles in her classroom. Her little sister is even going to babysit for us in the near future. I have talked to her a few times when working in the class but always as "my child's teacher". While we were out having drinks for happy hour on Friday night, I heard a familiar voice meeting up with the guy sitting next to me. I turned around and it was Joey's teacher! Long story short (I'm leaving out all of the OTHER details for now) we hung out all night and had a blast. Talked, got to know one another and it left me going home with a smile. She even got me to drink a Guinness with her. That's a big deal since last year I stopped drinking beer as part of my diet...

Saturday night we went to a bar/restaurant that we hadn't ever been to and it wasn't even close by our house. Different part of town, and we thought we'd check it out.  We walked in and made our way to the pool tables only to find Joey's teacher once again. It was a bit awkward but also exciting. Are we supposed to be hanging out or something? Was it just a totally random coincidence or is someone trying to tell me something.

Among the random run-ins with Joey's teacher, I finally got my tattoo on my wrist touched up and added to, got a free coffee at Starbucks for just being nice to the guy, had amazing sushi with our friend Ryan, met another couple that we hit it off with and even exchanged phone numbers with, laughed about the stupid silly stories that RC told us and were happy to have Joey back in our care. Was a good weekend despite the scum that was staying just a few miles away.

This post was a little all over the place, but which post isn't? That's how I'm thinking lately. My mind goes 100 miles a minute and just getting it out helps me to sort it out later. There is so much more that I want to elaborate on but I just can't. Not sure if it's right or even my place. Maybe as the week goes on I'll word vomit a bit.

No comments: