Tuesday, May 18, 2010

One is sliver and the other's gold...

When you find a friend that you absolutely click with, you keep them. They make you smile at the mere thought of them and the sound of their voice gives you butterflies. A good friend doesn't judge or belittle you, rather gives you support and an open ear when you need it.

My friends are my support. I can count them on one hand. They have never turned their back on me, no matter how I've treated them and they would never make rude comments to me to make themselves feel better. Over the last few years particularly I've spent a lot of time observing people, family members, friends, acquaintances. I'm finding out more and more who is really there for me and who just "says" they are there for me.

Moving to Arizona was a very hard decision. When I was faced with the decision, it came down to two different outcomes. Either, I move to Arizona with my husband and my son and we try to make a new life or I divorce my husband and stay in California working as a 911 Dispatcher. Of course, I chose the first outcome and I am happy with my decision. However hard it has been leaving family and friends behind, the move as a whole was for the better.

Since living here, I have made a couple of new friends, reconnected with old friends and even reconnected with friends from my past. It feels good, and I am happy with where I am at. I do miss my girls though. My girls that leave me feeling good after a chat on the phone, or a good glass of wine. My girls that I could be my complete self around and not worry about them judging me.  Why do we have to be so spread out across the continent and beyond?

Life.

It's all a journey and during the journey we take different paths. Each of the paths I have been down have been in different states. Hawaii, Virginia, California and now Arizona. Each of those places I have met different people kept some while others were lost. I am happy with those that have stayed in my life, and occasionally hurt from those that have been lost.

The point I am trying to make, while rambling all over the place (which is not new for me), is that when you find someone you love and feel a connection with, don't take that for granted. Love them the way they love you, don't ever judge and always be the shoulder to cry on when they need it most. Don't put them down, you'll only end up losing them in the end. Don't make cowardly snipes at them only to feel better for yourself, step back and put someone else's feelings first for once. Maybe then, you'll realize who your true friends are and what they mean to you.

This will forever be the song in my head,

Make new friends, but keep the old... one is sliver and the other's gold.

No comments: