Monday, August 5, 2013

Herpangina, what is that?

105 fever, lethargy, and grumpier than ever.

Let me rewind a bit.. do you remember my love/hate relationship post about parents bringing their sick children to the gym? Well, if you haven't read it, you can find it here.

Yes, my child has been a bit sheltered for the past couple of years. Is that really a bad thing? It's a large debate among parents every-where and I fall on the side of when the time is right it's right. I would much rather throw my child's immune system for a loop at the age of two instead of six months old. Heck, I'd really like to wait until after his third birthday but c'mon, mommy needs her gym time.

I am a stay at home mom and I do "get out". I just choose to stay away from friends with sick kiddos and play groups where I know a parent is bringing their sick child. My child isn't exactly an "easy" child and when he's sick it doesn't make things any better...

So one week after the first cold (from the gym daycare) came about, my tiny human started acting funny again. By acting funny I mean sticking his hands in his mouth gagging himself. Teething again? Sore throat? Strange toddler curiosity? I thought it was the wicked molars until Saturday afternoon's 105 fever.

A fever we couldn't break.

This, of course, led to a trip to the pediatric urgent care. After taking his temperature (rectally if I might add) and checking his pulse, they said, "oh yes, something isn't right." Really? That's why he is here.

That is when the doctor dropped the possible diagnosis.

Herpangina.

Say what???

Apparently, it's a summer virus that affects wee little ones in the form of a sore throat, high fever and lack of appetite followed by sores or lesions on the back of the throat. Nice. Just another virus that he picked up from the gym daycare, and hopefully one we won't encounter again. The high fever was a bit scary, especially when you can't get it to come down very easily.

Today, he is almost back to normal, bouncing around playing, talking and singing. Of course, says dear husband... waste a whole weekend being sick and as soon as he goes back to work Monday morning, tiny human feels better. The story of parenting!



Now it is Monday and time to get back on track. The weekend ended up being kind of a wash and aside from strolls around the neighborhood, workouts were literally non-existent. 





No comments: